August 26th, 2014
One of the most daunting aspects of upgrading your shower to glass, is keeping it clean. Don’t worry- it’s not as time and labor intensive as you think! We have 3 foolproof steps to keeping your glass shower doors sparkling!
1. Keep a Squeegee On Hand: One of the easiest ways to keep your glass shower doors squeaky clean is to use a squeegee after each and every use. When water sits on top of glass it can cloud the area leaving a milky residue. Make it a part of your shower routine to squeegee before you get out. This will save you time and energy in the long run!
2. Good Ventilation: Having good ventilation in your bathroom is key to keeping your shower doors clean. When moisture is not properly ventilated it can condensce and cause build up. Make sure you have the right fan, and use it every time you take a shower!
3. Get Showerguard: At River Glass Designs we offer all of our customers the option to get Showerguard. ShowerGuard’s patented ion beam manufacturing process creates a unique type of glass that’s permanently sealed, for a shower that stays beautiful for years. Visit www.showerguardglass.com for more information.
If worrying about keeping glass shower doors clean was holding you back from upgrading your shower- fear not! Our experts are here to walk you through the process to ensure you are happy with your shower for many years to come.
July 8th, 2014
So far this year’s bathrooms are headed in a clean, simple and convenient direction. Here are the five trends we’re most excited about.
Once upon a time floating vanities only appeared in ultra modern bathrooms. In 2014, they’re being used as a way to simplify the room, create the appearance of more space and give attention to the other bold elements in the room like statement tubs, unique tiling or floors, etc.
Homeowners are opting for bigger showers that are designed specifically for their space and personal taste and needs. Everything from pebble flooring to benches to built in sound systems– you name it. Frameless glass showers are, of course, among the most popular custom showers since they make the bathroom look more open and spacious.
Neutral Matte Tile
Tile options have exploded in the past couple of years and we love that homeowners are taking advantage of some amazing matte options. Everything from natural concrete to pale grays are appearing as flooring and even running up the shower wall.
Black is Back
While everyone loves the clean look of a white bathroom, it can be pretty cold and sterile. Adding black is an easy way
to create some bold contrast with neutral bathroom designs. Black is back in everything from tubs to lighting to tile.
Water Saving Fixtures
Manufacturers have come a long way with smart technology to reduce toilet and faucet water use without having to sacrifice the appearance of the fixtures. Everything from Low-Flow Toilets to hands free faucets are both beautiful and eco-friendly this year.
June 16th, 2014
Choosing the right shower for your home can seem a bit daunting when you have so many choices in front of you. Don’t worry, we’re here to lay out some options for you and help you make the right choice.
There are two primary types of glass showers Framed, or Frameless. Although both showers are made of glass, they are two completely different types of showers and serve different purposes.
Framed Showers, like they say, have framed shower perimeters, typically done with aluminum metal. You can also have a semi-frameless door has no channel at the top, bottom or on the handle side. Both are stabilized by a header and are installed with wall jams and a bottom sill. Here at River Glass Designs, we like to let our customers choose the right showers for them. So, if you do go with a framed shower- you can always pick your hardware finish to match the rest of your house.
The great thing about Framed Showers is that they are affordable. Because of the metal frame, you need to install less glass which lowers the cost of these showers. They do a great job of sealing in water, and they are pretty easy to maintain. The con of course, they are not as customizable as frameless showers.
Frameless Shower doors are again just as they sound, frameless. This means that the shower door is completely made of glass. At River Glass Designs, our frameless showers use ½ inch glass panels and ⅜ inch doors for maximum stability. No header is needed in most cases, and the hinges have a lifetime warranty. Fixed panels can be held in place with a ¾ inch channel or 2×2 inch clamps. Add your own personality with a wide selection of handles and hardware finishes to complete your stunning new shower.
Frameless shower doors are great for the person for is looking to really add a WOW factor to their bathroom. Although they are a stunning feature, they don’t seal in water quite like framed showers do, but with good maintenance this shouldn’t be a problem.
May 29th, 2014
Summer is quickly on its way here. Why not upgrade your backyard this year with an amazing outdoor shower? Whether you’re rinsing off from a day of yard work, or an afternoon at the pool, outdoor showers add an exotic element to your outdoor space. When thinking about making an outdoor shower there are a few things to consider.
1. Type of Shower: There are essentially two types of outdoor showers. There are mounted and stand alone showers. Mounted showers are a permanent installation and cannot be moved. Stand alones are attached to a hose and can be moved for more convenience.
2. Privacy: When installing an outdoor shower it is important to think about how you are going to be using it. Do you live close to the beach and just want to be able to rinse off? Or are you going to be taking full showers? If you don’t need full privacy, you can get creative with where your shower is placed. If you need full privacy, you are going to have to make sure you can build a structure. Privacy enclosures can actually be quite simple depending on what you’re looking for.
3. Drainage: This is one of the most important elements to consider when building an outdoor shower. The last thing you want is to flood the yard you have been spending your weekends to make beautiful. Most outdoor showers can drain into the ground, or a bed of rocks, depending on the location, but this might be against your local. Check with your city or town to make sure that your outdoor shower space is up to code.
Here are some types of showers to help get you started.
1. Bamboo Shower:
2. Tropical Rock Shower:
3. Simple Shower Enclosure:
August 13th, 2012
It’s been a rough year.
February was supposed to mark the triumphant return of the blog…that didn’t happen.
Justin and Whitney left.
June and July saw temperatures of 1,000 degrees like every day.
A massive storm brought down like a million trees, damaging homes, closing roads and leaving us without power and hot water.
And now, it’s August. It’s time for some relaxation. In fact let’s all head to the beach, sink our toes into the golden sand and dive into the cool crisp water…
…Wait! WAIT!! What is that?!
Everybody! Out of the Water!! OUT OF THE WATER!
That’s right ladies and gents, it’s Shark Week!
A week of non-stop, high flying, face biting, air jumping, seal hunting…Sharks!
Why not get yourself a shark tank…which is the hip new way to say Frameless Shower. Yeah, yeah, just call up and say: “Yo! Gimme a shark tank!” If we “act” confused just play along. Oh and mirrors are now shark skins…okay that doesn’t work at all. And just so we’re clear, you can’t put sharks in the frameless shower and frameless showers aren’t aquariums, so if you try to fill it with water…BAM!! Instant flood.
Trust me on this one and why wouldn’t you trust me… Y’all know me. Know how I earn a livin’. I’ll catch this bird for you, but it ain’t gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin’ bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin’, little tenderizin’, an’ down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that’ll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin’ basis. But it’s not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I’ll find him for three, but I’ll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you’ve gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don’t want no volunteers, I don’t want no mates, there’s just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the wholly moley…We are out of time folks.
Tags: About River Glass Designs, All Glass, Custom Mirrors, Frameless Shower, Frameless Showers, mirrors
Posted in About River Glass Designs, Custom Glass Work, Custom Mirrors, Frameless Glass Shower Enclosure, Glass Shower Door | 1 Comment »